My Experience At The Greenwich Polo Club



Hello everybody!

This past weekend, I got to have a unique experience that was unlike anything I had ever done before. I went to the Greenwich Polo Club!

As some of you might remember, I actually wrote about this place last year, so I don’t think I need to explain the basic details about the place. Instead, I will tell you all what I saw there, and what made my experience so great!

First of all, people get dressed up for these Polo matches, much like how they do for The Kentucky Derby. I would say that I was surprised by this, but I also dressed this way. I wore a shirt from the Patterson Country Club, and red shorts that had lobsters on them. Which you can clearly see in the picture above.

Also, when I first got there, I saw a surprising amount of food trucks. I know that it shouldn't surprise me, but I was surprised by just how many were there. It was like a tailgate party was happening. I don’t know, I’ve never been to any sporting events, and that was the best comparison I could think of. I did not have any food there, because I had just had lunch shortly before I got there, and I knew that I was going to have dinner right after I left. 

Also, there were a small number of vendors there with tables set up, one of which was actually a vendor that had literal actual ponies in an enclosure. Fun fact, when my parents first saw them, they thought they were giant dogs. Lol. 

Where I watched the match from was a place called The Players’ Lounge Cabana. There were three major parts to this area. One was an area that just seemed to be tents with tables and chairs. The next part was the bleachers, which was also where I watched the match from. The last part was another area of tents with tables and chairs, but it also had live music, and what appeared to be a beer garden.

From where I was sitting in the bleachers, there was also music playing from the speakers, and what they played made me feel like I had been teleported back to the year 2016. Seriously, they played Closer by The Chainsmokers, This Is What You Came For by Rihanna, which I definitely heard twice, I Took A Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner, and various other Electronic Dance Music songs. 

Also, and I know this is completely unimportant, but it’s just something that I felt like sharing. I noticed that one of the sponsors there was UBS, and all I kept thinking was about how I no longer liked them after they abandoned the Stamford Balloon Parade. I know this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it’s just something that I felt like sharing.

Now, I bet you’re all wondering how much I knew about polo before going to this match, and the answer is… absolutely nothing! All I knew was that it was played on horses, there was a ball involved, and players tried to hit the ball with what were essentially giant croquet mallets. 

And now that I have actually been to a polo match I can safely say that my knowledge about polo is now… essentially the same as it was before I went to the match. Yeah, I really didn’t learn much, and it was also not the most interesting thing in the world. The only things that I remember are that during halftime, basically all the guests walked onto the field to flatten the grass again, the fact that there were a total of six periods that were all 7.5 minutes long, the fact that an airhorn was blasted whenever each period was down to 30 seconds left, and the fact that each period was called a “Chukker.” Seriously, that’s actually what they are called, and the reason why it initially stood out to me was because I randomly remembered a single challenge on Top Chef where they were cooking with a bird called “Chukar,” which I only just learned is spelled differently. As in, while I was writing this, that’s when I learned that these are two completely different words that are spelled differently.

So, now that I have discussed almost everything that was there, you’re probably all wondering why I even went here. I mean, I didn’t have any of the food or drinks there, I had absolutely no prior knowledge about polo, and I barely even paid any attention to the actual match. Well, allow me to explain.

Let’s go back in time to a magical year known as 2025! Does everyone remember that year? 

Of course you do, it was only the previous year.

It was at this time that my amazing friend Emily had been posting numerous pictures of being at the Greenwich Polo Club. 

She then recommended that I write about it for my blog. So, I did some research about it, wrote the blog post, and then shared it with Emily, who shared it to her Instagram Story, making it one of my most viewed blog posts ever. Speaking of which, thanks again for that, Emily. 

Then, Emily said that one day, I had to go to the Greenwich Polo Club with her, and I agreed with her and thought it was a great idea. 

Some time passed, and the 2025 season at the Greenwich Polo Club ended, and I figured that it could still happen the following year. 

Well, 2026 started up, and after neither of us had brought it up at all in months, I assumed that in the words of our good friend John Mellencamp, just like everything else, those old crazy dreams just kind of came and went.

Well, that wasn’t the case. At all. 

A few weeks ago, Emily told me that she had a prayer and worship event at the Greenwich Polo Club in two weeks. 

I immediately knew that I had to go to it, but I was secretly thinking that there was a lot of things I would have to do if I even wanted to think about going there, such as how to get tickets if I’m not a member, and also how much it would cost to go there, or even just get in.

The very next weekend, all my concerns were answered, as Emily told me that she had already purchased a ticket for me, and then a few days later, she texted me the ticket, which would be scanned by someone who would let me in to the event. It really seemed like Emily had done all the hard work for me, and I just had to show up and show them my ticket.

But that wasn’t the only great part of being there. Something else happened that I wasn’t expecting would happen at all. 

I found myself making two new friends, who also happened to be Emily’s friends, and members of her prayer and worship group. And then, I sort of found myself almost becoming part of the group, as I joined everybody else for the picture that they took in front of the scoreboard, and I was also asked to take a picture of one of my new friends with one of the other members of the group. 

So, as you can see, this adventure ended up being less about polo, and more about friendship, but truly, that’s exactly what I expected. I did not think I was going to have a greater appreciation for polo by the end of the day, but I knew that I was going to see some great friends, and it was a nice surprise making some new friends. 

I mean, let’s be honest, what’s really better? Going to a new place for the first time, or getting to see your friends again, and making some new friends in the process? Because in my opinion, getting to see my friends is one of the greatest things I could ever ask for.

Overall, I hope you all enjoyed reading this blog post as much as I actually enjoyed not only writing about it, but also experiencing it! I would once again like to thank my friend Emily for inviting me to the Greenwich Polo Club, and for introducing me to her friends! I only hope that I can see you all again at your next event!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stamford Downtown Parade Spectacular 2025

Tarrytown Sleepy Hollow Farmers Market

Stamford Downtown Parade Spectacular